How to Jump Start a Car
You will likely need a jump start, car battery service, or something similar if your vehicle won’t start. Among these, the first option is the most likely. Need to know how to properly jump start a car? Follow this handy guide from Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM so you don’t need to call a jump start car service. Battery is nearing the end of its life? Visit our service center near Forest Grove for a replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
You’ll only need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle to jump start your car properly. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you’ve got that settled, follow these steps:
- Have the car with the good battery park facing the other vehicle, then make sure that vehicle is turned off. Check to make sure both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals. Make sure they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is hooked up securely, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were placed on, then shut off the car that was used to help jump-start the dead car.
- Keep the engine running on the restarted vehicle for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the weak battery doesn’t die again right away. Consult your owner’s manual for more info on recommended times.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
Car won’t jump start? If it’s not a more serious problem, you may just need a battery replacement. Take these steps to figure out what the problem is:
- If starting the car only creates a clicking sound, the starter might be broken. Schedule service at Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM near Aloha for a replacement.
- If the car’s electrical systems turn on, but the engine fails to turn over, the problem could be an ignition switch, battery, starter, fuse, or any number of problems. Again, bring your vehicle to our service center so the issue can be diagnosed.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM for Service
Whether you need help with a new battery or an oil change, our service center can help. We’re located just a short trip from Beaverton, so visit us or contact us with any questions. Still having battery troubles? Discover how to remove a car battery or how often to change your spark plugs with our team. Learn more about your Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM today to keep your tires in optimal health! Involved in a recent fender-bender? Learn how to fix a dent or a scratch with our team!
More from Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
The New Jeep SUV Lineup Overview
If you’re looking for a versatile and dependable Jeep SUV for sale, the 2022 Jeep Lineup is where you need to bring your attention! Jeeps are designed with functionality in mind, which gives drivers the opportunity to do many things. From daily drives around town to off-the-grid adventures with family and friends, Jeeps can truly…
Why Buy From Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM
Shopping for a new vehicle that is affordable but also comes with all of the unique features that you want is time-consuming. However, finding a car that suits your lifestyle can be easy when you go to a reliable dealership! At Tonkin Hillsboro Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM, everything we do revolves around you, our customer….
How Much is a RAM 3500?
If you are on the lookout for a truck to add to your fleet, the RAM 3500 is a powerful and dynamic option. It’s built to handle an incredible amount of weight for towing around Aloha. The newly-refreshed design has a bold front grille to captivate the attention of everyone and the interior technology…